Monday, November 3, 2008

Last Week in October

We haven't been cooking so much lately. I've been focusing instead on school work.

Luckily, my little slave cat works real hard at rubbing my feet each night:


Last Monday, we had a lot of co-op veggies that needed using up, so I tried to come up with something that encompassed all of them. Inspired by a post over at Last Night's Dinner , I sauteed some onions, garlic, red pepper, and sweet potatoes while some Rancho Gordo Christmas Limas simmered on a separate stove eye.


I added in some chicken stock and Lacinato kale and swiss chard (more of the "bright lights" variety) and sauteed it until it was wilted, then I added some softened bulgar and spices. It was really quite good and different from what we usually cook up.

I roasted some squashes and a few tomatoes in tamarind chutney and we had those on the side.


On Wednesday, we used the kale sautee to stuff some colorful peppers...the green one is the last from our garden:


I surrounded the peppers with a tomato sauce I made quickly in the food processor:
1 28 oz. can of Muir Glen Fire-Roasted tomatoes
1 jalepeno
1 onion
garlic
homemade chili powder
cumin
corriander
salt and pepper

It's based on my favorite recipe for stuffed peppers which can be found here.

My friend Christin had a Halloween party on Thursday in which we were instructed to dress as our respective bosses. It was very cute, indeed.

I brought spinach dip which was a nod to my love of Mark and Christin. Everytime we go out, they have to order it even though I don't eat it. I let them, because they are sweet babies and I'd hate to see them with faces any different than these:


However, this spin dip was Wendy-friendly...no mayo.

Bonus pic: Our friend Moe dressed as Flavor Flav: